Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day Twenty Two

Today went pretty much as expected. I rode a lonely 51 miles from Portland, MO to Easley, MO.

I slept in late this morning knowing that I was going to be doing a low mileage day. Once I was up, I went to the shower room to get ready, to find it locked. The manager had told me to lock it when I left, and so he must have 1) been an idiot and not seen that I was still there and 2) not trusted me. Ugh. It was find though I suppose, I had showered the night before. So I brushed my teeth out of a water spicket and wet on.

About 15 miles down the road, I found this awesome house open to bike tourers and hikers (and anyone else, I suppose.) It was 5$ a night on an honor system, and they had beds, showers, a bike shop room, the works. I wish I had known it was there and gone last night, or been able to stop today. Oh well, if I'm ever on the Katy Trail again I know where to stop.

I ate lunch at this airport restaurant outside of Jefferson City. I got there at 1:45 and they closed at 2. I ate the worst sandwich of the trip (yeah Jason, probably worse than Dimitri's) and went on my way.

There was a tour on the Katy Trail going west to east, so I passed about 300 people in about an hour. I felt like I was going the wrong way on a one-way street. I only almost got hit once. I've been "Howdy"ing everybody in Jason's honor.

So now I'm at Cooper's Landing. It's a marina/RV park/ camping/grocery/music venue/Thai food place. Hah. I didn't get the Thai food, but got a burrito from the store instead. Something about Thai food in central Missouri made me uncomfortable. I ate outside listening to some older guy playing guitar and singing songs. I've got a recording if anyone wants a taste of this life someday.

I'm writing this post sitting on the dock, watching the sun set on the Missouri river, still listening to the same guy. I'm really not quite sure how I'm going to introduce myself back into society.


Tomorrow: Still on the Katy Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment