Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day Fourteen

Yup, we're definitely in the Midwest. We rode 119 miles from Orrville, OH to Bellefontaine, OH.

And that 119 miles wasn't all flat either. This morning was actually surprisingly hilly. We were up at 5 (well, I was up at 5:30) and we were out by just after 6:30. We had some rolling hills for a while, and some bigger hills around Mansfield, OH.  After Mansfield though it sure flattened out. We were able to cruse at about 15 mph, which sounds slow for a road bike, but for a loaded touring bike, it feels like you're flying.

I had some trouble with my ankle today. Near the end of the day yesterday it was starting to hurt, and it continued today. I get tendinitis quite often, so my guess is that it's something like that. I'm hoping that some ice and Advil, with a rest day in a couple days, will do the trick.

I also noticed today that a piece of my rack was broken. I'm hoping it will hold together for the next two days until we get to Muncie, IN for a rest/repair day, where I can either fix it or get a new one. Hah, sometimes it feels like I'm in a video game  where I have to try to make it to checkpoints and find stores. 

It took us forever to find lunch today. We finally found a place around 3:45 and about 75 miles in. We sat there for a while and charged the phones while we watched Rosanne and then Miss Congeniality II.

We hit our 1000th mile today too! That really makes it feel like we've come a long way. We celebrated with an ice cream cone. Chocolate vanilla twist, of course.

We're staying at Zane Shawnee Caverns, which in this native-American run campground. It's kind of weird here. We splurged for a cabin (which is called "the raven,") but kind of wish that we'd just tented, because it's not really worth the extra money. Oh well, now we know.

So if nothing goes wrong with the bikes, and if the land stays flat, our next two days should be great. We have two days to do about 160 miles. Since we did almost 120 today without much trouble, we're hoping that it'll go great.

Also, Jason is 22 tomorrow (the 15th.) Be sure to send him birthday greetings! We're getting a hotel tomorrow to celebrate, and hopefully our day won't be very long.

Tomorrow: Somewhere between Bellefontaine, OH and Muncie, IN

No comments:

Post a Comment