Monday, June 27, 2011

Day Twenty Seven

Today was annoying. I rode 40 miles from Harrisonville, MO to Paola, KS.

Those 40 miles were probably 65% dirt roads. Not nice packed dirt like the Katy Trail, but bumpy rocky dirt. And it was surprisingly hilly. I'm glad I was only riding 40 miles, because I'm not sure I could have held onto my sanity had I done much more.

But hey, at least I crossed another state line. Although I didn't even get a state line sign. The road was called "State Line Road" so I took a picture of the road sign and went on my way.

I was finally able to get in touch with the owner of this wallet I found. Jason and I found it last Wednesday, and, not being able to find a phone number inside, I just emailed the Katy Trail people and waited. I got an email a few days later saying someone with the right name had posted a lost wallet on their forum. So, I called the number, and left a message. I thought it was strange that I wasn't getting a call back, but there wasn't much more that I could do. Finally this morning, the lady called me. So, when I got to Hillsdale I sent the wallet to it's owner (using her credit card, which we had agreed on.) Her license said Santa Fe, NM, so Jason and I were hoping to get a place to stay out of the deal, but apparently she had moved to Lincoln, NE. Bummer. So
my good citizen deed has been completed for the trip.

I got dinner at this gas station. Pre-made sandwiches, BBQ Twisties, and Peace Tea. Yum.

The road into my campground was like 3 miles long. Literally. I wasn't too impressed. Eventually I found the check in place, and payed for my site. I chatted with the guy a bit, who asked me if I was crazy. I've been getting that a lot. He told me the route he would take, which was basically what Jason and I were planning on doing anyways.

I'm staying in a State Park right on a lake, so I went for a walk on their trails, which was nice. The weather is beautiful right now.

Tomorrow: Turkey Point Campground in Osage City, KS to await Jason on Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment