Monday, June 13, 2011

Day Twelve

We're really knocking down states quickly here. We rode 63 miles today, from Titusville, PA to Hubbard, OH. I wish we could keep doing a state border per day, but I suppose that we'll be in Ohio for a few days.

Boy, other than a free dinner last night, Pennsylvania wasn't very good to us. Today was really hilly again. It's a good thing that we had planned for a shorter day, because we wouldn't have been able to make it much further.

One thing's for sure, the Pennsylvanians are definitely not a fan of paving their roads. We saw more dirt today than ever before. I mean, I realize it's Amish country and all, but it was kind of ridiculous. We ran into a completely new style of paving today too. The half pave. No, not side by side, or one end paved the other dirt, but instead striped. I'm not joking. Literally, 100 feet of pavement, 100 feet of dirt, 100 feet of pavement, 100 feet of dirt, etc., for a solid few miles. I just don't get it.

The Pennsylvanians also love not tying up their dogs. I was riding behind Jason this morning when I heard a few barks. This was nothing new, so I thought nothing of it. However, when the barks continued to get louder, I turned to see two rather large black beasts pursuing us. When dicussing it with Jason later, he said he heard me yell a certain curse word and fire past him as quickly as I could, which is when he turned to see the dogs. We ended up escaping with our lives. While this was the worst of it, we were chased by at least three other dogs along the way, not all quite as threatening.

Finally, after the dirt, dogs, and hills, we made it too Cedar Ridge Campground in Hubbard, OH. We chatted with the owner for a while, and with the owners granddaughter, who works at the camp, along with her boyfriend. They offered to give us a ride into town to get dinner, which was great because 1) we didn't have to ride in, and 2) he drove like a 2010 Mustang (okay, I'm not actually sure about the year, but it was really nice. So we got dinner and a tour of Hubbard before returning to make a fire and eat dinner.

Tomorrow: Somewhere in the southwestern direction from Hubbard, OH.

No comments:

Post a Comment