Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day Twenty Eight

Today really had it's ups and downs. Hah, literally. I rode 79 miles from Paola, KS to Lyndon, KS.

The day started great. I don't know which part of Kansas is flat, but it's not right here. Not that it's terrible or anything, but there are just a lot of rollers. It was hot but not too hot, just enough to keep me sweating and thirsty.

I finally made it to Osage City. I got dinner at Subway, then headed up to my campground. I found the address, but no campground in sight. I was not pleased. So I found another, which was 13.5 miles back along the same way that I had came in. Awesome. I got to that address and no campground. By this point I was pretty legitimately upset. So I called the place, and he said they were 2 miles north of Lyndon, where I was about 1 mile south. Sigh. So I rode up, and made it there eventually.

The day took a turn for the better at that point. I'd met 2 cyclists earlier going from northern California to DC. It turns out that they were part of a 5 guy team (4 riders and a support vehicle driver,) and they were staying at the campground I had ended up at. So, I'm at their campsite, and I got to hang out with them all evening. They have an 18 year old, a 40 something year old, and two guys in their 70's, plus the driver. The guy in his 40's was great. He bikes around a ton, and sounded like he'd been on a lot of adventures. He seemed a little jealous that I was doing it self-supported. So we chatted all night, and they made me a burger. Cool. So thanks to those guys for brightening my day up.

I also left my wallet at the counter of the check-in, and the owner was nice enough to return it. I guess it's a good thing that I returned the one I found, because it brought me that good luck.

The sky is huge out here. I love the Midwest.

Tomorrow: A waiting day here, where Jason will meet me tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment