Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day Twenty Nine

Well, today was pretty boring. I rode a total of 10 miles into town, once for lunch and again for dinner.

Today was hot. Exceptionally hot. And tomorrow and the next day are supposed to be the same way. Highs of 103 says the weatherman. Oh boy. I spent most of the day sitting in the shade. The owner guy here lent me a comfy chair, so I pretty much just said around, played games on the phone, and studied for my GRE's a bit.

After I got back from getting dinner, this guy came over and told me that I could
come hang out in his camper to get out of the heat for a while. So, I grabbed my sandwich and went over. It turns out that he lived in Reading, MO (right near Joplin, MO) and had lost his house in the tornado. So, he's living at his parents' camper until he can close on the new house. It was really awesome chatted with him and hearing all of the first hand stories from the tornado. He lived with his dog, Jamie, and was really close with his son who goes to college on Topeka. So thanks Gary for letting me come and watch TV and be air conditioned and get some great stories.

And Jason is back! He got a ride here from some nice lady named Nancy for the last 35 miles or so. She made him a sandwich and gave us some homemade cookies. Things are starting to feel "normal" around here again. It's nice not being alone in Kansas anymore. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed just having someone to talk to.

Tomorrow: Cottonwood Falls, KS.

No comments:

Post a Comment