Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day Thirty Five

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore. We rode 82 miles from Lakin, KS to Lamar, CO.

I woke up this morning before Jason, and decided to go look for a bathroom. As I did, I saw a lady drive in, and shortly after, a sheriff car drive in. Uh oh, I thought. So I walked back, and just as I was passed the cop car and thought that I was out of range, I got the, "Excuse me, Sir?" Bah. He asked if we were camping, and I said yeah and that we were getting ready to pack up. He didn't seem upset in the least, and we chatted about the trip for a few minutes. Phew.

So we got up, and had awkward interactions with the lady who had to have called the police. She seemed nice enough though, so it was fine. We were eating breakfast by the road, and were offered cantaloup by some guy and his wife in an RV. Yum! I love cantaloupe.

We crossed the time zone, and passed into mountain time, which was pretty cool. It's nice getting the extra hour, although now it gets dark pretty early. We rode shirtless for most of the way, which was probably a bad decision given the sunburn I have now. Oh well, it'll tab over eventually. We made it to Syracuse and got lunch there. After that we headed to the post office. We intended to send a few items home, but got a little carried away. I ended up sending probably between 15-20 lbs of stuff. I'm down to the bare minimum now, and I could actually feel my bike get lighter. It's the perfect thing to do before tackeling the Rockies.

We crossed into Colorado! Hooray! I'm pretty happy to not be in Kansas anymore. Everything is much more alive here. Apparently it's because Colorado steals all of the water from the Arkansas River before it gets to Kansas. Who knew.

So we're in Lamar now. We called the police department to see if we could sleep in this park. Hey said no, but gave us the location of a park we could sleep in. Score. We went to dinner, and headed back to camp. The place looked a little rough, so we set up camp in a softball field. As long as I get some sleep, I'm happy.

Tomorrow: La Junta, CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment